Followers

Friday, September 6, 2013

Speak It Out Loud

This morning, I woke up at 3 AM.  I decided to start my day instead of trying to go back to sleep for a few hours.  I got my work-out clothes on.  I put my heart monitor and my phone in my armband.  I couldn't quite believe that I was going to try a run since I have been sick the past few days.  I decided to try it anyway.

 I put a tiny bit of vapo-rub in my mustache and beard to help keep my lungs and congestion soothed.  I figured if I could run without coughing it would be ok.  Lo, and behold, the trick worked.  I didn't set any speed records but I ran 5k in about 37 and a half minutes.  I came home, got some liquids in me and ate a protein bar for recovery nutrition.  Already feeling good with those good endorphin levels running through me from the exercise, I checked my email and took a shower. I even shaved.

I woke the boys up a few minutes later than usual because the older ones have late start on Fridays.  We had a normal morning.  After some early getting ready from the older 2 we woke the others and had family prayer and read scriptures.  I always try to read with feeling. I think it makes it more interesting.  The boys, getting them to read when it's their turn is about all we can get from drowsy children.  We closed with a prayer and then it happened.  I reminded them to take time to say their personal prayers.  I forget to do this all the time.  I'm perfectly willing to pray, myself, with the family but forget to take time to speak with heavenly father personally.

I went into my room and closed the door.  Instead of quietly saying a prayer in my head.  I spoke out loud. I had forgotten after all these years since my mission how powerful it is to speak out loud to the lord.  Not to take anything away from having a prayer in our hearts, or for times when you feel that a quiet prayer is needed.  I think, sometimes, when I say the prayer in my head that I'm somehow being more humble and submissive.  But to speak out loud reminded me that a prayer is a conversation with our heavenly father.  I could feel him answering me and giving me comfort.  It brought me to tears to ask for help with my children and protection for my wife.  It was real.

I think that I will make an effort to find time to pray out loud personally each day.  Make it my routine.  It was good to have a conversation with the one who knows me best.

2 comments:

  1. A good reminder about praying out loud. I think I'll try the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've noticed the same thing, Tim. Before I married Mel (but after getting divorced), I prayed aloud twice a day usually and that was the most spiritual time of my life. I believe that a lot of that was praying aloud. I think I'm going to start the same goal along with you.

    ReplyDelete