Followers

Thursday, August 8, 2013

Rock Opera - Pater Noster

It's funny where we get inspiration from.
Last night I rewatched this Youtube video.

Pater Noster - Salt Lake Vocal Artists

Here's the text:


PATER noster, qui es in caelis, sanctificetur nomen tuum. Adveniat regnum tuum. Fiat voluntas tua, sicut in caelo et in terra. Panem nostrum quotidianum da nobis hodie, et dimitte nobis debita nostra sicut et nos dimittimus debitoribus nostris. Et ne nos inducas in tentationem, sed libera nos a malo. Amen.

In English:


OUR Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be Thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. Amen.

The music has been stuck in my brain all night.  Pater Noster, just that part of the text would pop into my head at weird moments.  

I thought of a son speaking to his father.  Then it hit me to use that as a starting point for a piece in the Rock Opera.

I wanted a piece for chorus and the character of the lead's son to sing immeditely after the lead dies.  Then it would lead into the final which is a canon where each cast member or group adds their theme until it reaches it's climax and everyone is out on stage. I've written the finale and the son begins it alone with a piano.  I realized with a modification this textual starting point would be good.  I'm going to have to find someone well versed in latin to help because I want the Chorus to sing in latin and the soloist to sing in english.  I wrote this new text and then I plugged it into Google translate just to see what the Latin might look like.



OUR Father, who watches from on high, I always love you, don’t let me cry. I only live to make your dreams come true. Tell me what to say, tell me what to do. You gave me everything and more no matter what life had in store, Please forgive me if I never showed my gratitude or said I love you. You lead our souls with love, you delivered us from war. I love you father. Goodbye, Amen.



PATER noster, qui spectat ab alto, semper te, ne me flere. Tantum facies tua somnia. Indica mihi quid dixerit, dicite mihi quid faciam. Que omnia et dedistis mihi restare vitae, dictum vel Aufer a me gratia numquam te amo ostendit. Uos animis in amore nos bellum. Te amo Patris. Vale, Amen.


I imagine the chorus singing the text in latin first, then the soloist singing the English text and the chorus singing small bits of the Latin as an accompaniment.  A cello begins the piece and adds counterpoint melody in places and a continuo in others.  An electric guitar will complete the  instrumentation and sometimes solo, sometimes play harmony to the soloist's melody, and sometimes a third counterpoint to the others.  It will finish the piece as a solo.

the begins the finale will begin with the piano.

The Son sings

Father can't be here now, for once I'm on my own.  No one to protect me, I've never been alone.  Do I have what I need to walk the paths I'm shown. Father am I ready to now be on my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment